Press "Enter" to skip to content

Coronavirus UK news 9pm – Covid test chaos may last WEEKS, Health Secretary warns as ‘true’ death toll hits 57,500


THE UK’s “true” Covid death toll has surpassed more than 57,500, the ONS has confirmed.

In figures published this morning, the ONS reported that there had been 52,420 deaths involving Covid-19 in England and Wales up to September 4.

While figures published last week showed Scotland had 4,231 Covid deaths up to September 6 and Northern Ireland had 877 deaths up to September 4.

This new data comes as up to 230,000 people wait for their test results which Matt Hancock admitted today said could last for weeks.

The Health Secretary said he would have to set out new rules for rationing tests and prioritising people in the NHS and social care settings to try and fight the chaos and shortages – as some sites reportedly ran out.

The Health Sec admitted there had been “operational” challenges to the testing system, blaming people who are not eligible to get swabbed, for delays, and the increased demand.

And he said that there was a hold up of “less than a day’s capacity” – currently at 227,000 for the swab tests.

Follow our coronavirus blog for the latest news and updates…





Source link

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mission News Theme by Compete Themes.