A farmer, Michael Ojo, whose four children, daughter-in-law and grandchild were abducted during attacks on schools in Oyo State, has narrated how armed men invaded the communities and took pupils into a forest reserve.
According to Sahara Reporters, Ojo said the attackers first struck the Esiele community before moving to Yawota, where his children attended school.
Speaking during a visit to the affected community on Tuesday, the distraught farmer said six members of his family were still being held by the kidnappers.
According to him, his daughter-in-law was also abducted while carrying a baby on her back.
Ojo said he regretted allowing the children to go to school that morning after they had initially pleaded to stay at home.
“On Friday morning, my children said they did not want to go to school, but I told them they should go since they would close by 1pm. I wish I never told them to go,” he said.
He added, “I have four children in that school. My son’s wife is also among them, and she was carrying a baby on her back when they were kidnapped.”
The woman was reportedly seen in a viral video released after the attack, pleading while carrying the infant.
Ojo said the gunmen took his four children, daughter-in-law and grandchild into the forest.
How Gunmen Invaded Communities
Recounting the incident, the farmer said he was at home around 9 am when he noticed strange men in the area.
He said, “At exactly 9 am, I was inside my house trying to sleep because I’m a farmer and there is not much work on the farm presently.
“There is a nursery school in our community, Yawota, where people from neighbouring communities like Alahusa and Onyaa also attend.
“When I could not sleep again, I opened my window and saw strange men moving around. I did not know they had already attacked Esiele community before coming here.”
He said the attackers had earlier stormed Esiele, about four kilometres away, where they targeted primary and secondary schools before proceeding to Yawota.
“There is a primary and secondary school in Esiele. The kidnappers divided themselves into two groups and already planned where they would meet after the operation because after Esiele there is no other community except the forest reserve,” he said.
Soldiers ‘Tracing Abductors’
Ojo said security operatives had reportedly located where the abducted victims were being kept, but were acting carefully to avoid endangering the children.
“The soldiers have already located where they are keeping them, but they do not want to harm the children, which is why they are being careful,” he said.
The farmer said the attack had thrown the communities into fear, forcing many residents to flee their homes.
He added, “As you can see, almost everybody has fled for their lives. Most houses are locked because people have run away.
“But where can I run to? I have nowhere else to go. My children were here before they were kidnapped, and after this incident, I am still hoping they will return to me very soon.”





Be First to Comment