DONALD Trump has officially paused his “Project Freedom” mission aimed at safely shepherding ships through the Strait of Hormuz.
The US president said the move is aimed at finalising a peace deal with Iran as he hopes to end the war in the Middle East after weeks of failed negotiations.
Trump said the decision had been taken “to see whether or not” an agreement with Iran “can be finalised and signed” soon.
The decision is mutual between both Washington and Tehran, Trump added.
“We have mutually agreed that, while the Blockade will remain in full force and effect, Project Freedom [The Movement of Ships through the Strait of Hormuz] will be paused for a short period of time,” he said.
The request to end Project Freedom – which was only first declared on Sunday – came from Pakistan and other US allies.
It comes after two days of renewed Iranian attacks on the United Arab Emirates which have caused fresh fears over the future of the conflict.
Tehran targeted the UAE with drones and missiles for consecutive days as they chillingly vowed they are “just getting started”.
Late on Tuesday, the UK Maritime Trade Operations also claimed a cargo vessel had been struck by a projectile in the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump responded to the fresh waves of Iranian air assaults by warning that the regime should “wave the white flag of surrender”.
Earlier today, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio even said the United States had completed “Operation Epic Fury”.
He praised the US military operation before confirming the sinking of seven Iranian boats in the Strait of Hormuz.
He added that several civilian boats had also been caught in Iran’s push back against the US as both sides fiercely compete for the vital waterway.
Rubio’s comments mirrored statements from Congress, nearly a month into a fragile ceasefire.
“The operation is over — Epic Fury — as the president notified Congress. We’re done with that stage of it,” Rubio said to reporters at the White House.
“This is not an offensive operation; this is a defensive operation,” Rubio added.
“And what that means is very simple — there’s no shooting unless we’re shot at first.”
Israel and the US attacked Iran at the end of February, taking out top leaders and destroying major military and economic spots.
Rubio went on to say the US has “achieved the objectives” of the war.
“These guys are facing, they are facing real, catastrophic destruction to their economy,” he said, while adding that Trump still preferred a negotiated deal with Iran.






Be First to Comment