Press "Enter" to skip to content

Harvey Weinstein judge uses rare ‘dynamite charge’ to force jury in 3rd rape trial into verdict as it stays deadlocked |


THE jury in Harvey Weinstein’s third trial is deadlocked and unable to reach a unanimous verdict as the judge issues a rare dynamite charge.

Judge Curtis Farber, who is presiding over Weinstein‘s retrial, issued an Allen charge where he ordered jurors to continue deliberating.

Harvey Weinstein appears in Manhattan criminal court on May 6 Credit: AP
Sexual Misconduct Harvey Weinstein
Jessica Mann arrives for Harvey Weinstein’s trial in criminal court on April 27 Credit: AP

The fallen movie titan, 74, is facing a third trial in New York after a jury reached a split verdict during his trial last year relating to sexual assault allegations made by three women.

Weinstein is being tried for allegations made by actress Jessica Mann, who accused the disgraced Miramax co-founder of raping her at a hotel in Midtown Manhattan in March 2013.

Judge Farber received a note from jurors, which read, “We, the jury, have concluded we cannot reach a unanimous decision.”

The jury has been deliberating the case for nearly 48 hours after receiving the case on Wednesday following a three-week trial.

Read more in The U.S. Sun

SAD SIGHT

Weinstein accuser calls #MeToo a ‘caricature’ as courtroom empty for 3rd trial

After instructing jurors to continue deliberating, he said that if they cannot reach a unanimous verdict then the court will need to schedule a new trial in front of a different jury.

“If you need readback or clarifications of the law, we stand ready to do so,” Judge Farber said.

“I appreciate the process is difficult. Please continue to deliberate.”

As the judge read the Allen charge, which is also referred to as a dynamite charge, to the jury, a male juror was reportedly seen rubbing his forehead and laughing silently in a sarcastic manner, according to LA Magazine.

Weinstein’s retrial last year came after an appeals court in New York overturned his 2020 conviction, ruling Weinstein did not receive a fair trial.

In 2025, a jury convicted Weinstein of sexually assaulting production assistant Mimi Haley, but he was acquitted of rape allegations made by former model Kaja Sokola.

But jurors failed to reach a verdict on the third sexual assault count relating to the accusations made by actress Mann.

Judge Farber, who also presided over last year’s case, ultimately declared a mistrial, leading to an eventual third trial, which began in April.

Mann, now 40, testified against the frail Weinstein for a third time, painfully recounting on the stand how he pinned her down on a bed in a Manhattan hotel and violently raped her in March 2013.

Sobbing on the stand, Mann said she cried out for Weinstein to stop “over and over.”

“He just treated me like he owned me,” Mann said as she detailed how he pinned both her wrists above her head during the attack.

Weinstein’s high-profile defense attorneys, Marc Agnifilo and Teny Geragos, who represented Sean “Diddy” Combs during his federal sex trafficking trial, argued that the relationship between their client and Mann was consensual.

The once powerful movie mogul denied the allegation made against him.

More to follow… For the latest news on this story, keep checking back at The U.S. Sun, your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, sports news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures, and must-see videos.

Like us on Facebook at TheSunUS and follow us on X at @TheUSSun





Source link

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mission News Theme by Compete Themes.